Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happiness and Four-Letter Words



There are BAD four-letter words.

$%@&!
*#$&!
+&@%!

 And then there are GOOD four-letter words.

Free 
Live
Love


And then there's... 

 It doesn’t take much to make me happy. That beautiful Blue and Yellow four-letter word will do it almost immediately. 

 I love IKEA. I think I could LIVE at IKEA. And the love affair has been going on for some time.
 I’d never heard of this amazing place in 2003, when my best friend Vicki suggested we stop at the IKEA in Emeryville on our way to The City. (If you grew up in the Central Valley of California, San Francisco was “The City.”) I’m always up for shopping, but nothing I’d experienced before prepared me for the sheer awesomeness of IKEA. I think I walked all the way through the showroom with my mouth open. (Thank goodness there were no flies.)


Because I was just visiting there (as opposed to living there) and had an 800 mile trip home and space in the car was at a premium, the only purchases I made were several wall shelves. But since Utah got their very own IKEA, I have worked very hard at not limiting myself. (I'm happy to report the hard work has really paid off!)

When I moved last year I left a craftroom that had shelves and cupboards and drawers.
 I went to a new place where the room I planned to dedicate to crafting (as you can see, formerly a bedroom) had NOTHING…except walls and a floor and two closets. (Also UGLY drapes...but those went first.)
Needless to say, I’ve been VERY grateful for IKEA.

I have been fretting over how to store my ribbon (I am the Ribbon Queen of Orem, Utah). But finally I thought to try an IKEA spice rack and it’s going to be fabulous. The 3 ¼ inch spools fit perfectly and there’s that rail thingee that the ribbon end can run under.

Just thinking about painting all those spice racks white and hanging them on the wall (above my IKEA craft tables...and Expedit cube...and Trofast storage units) makes me all warm and squooshy inside.

See? Such happiness from so little…just IKEA. I love you IKEA. If there’s no IKEA in Heaven, I’m not going.




4 comments:

  1. Great article, sis! I love Ikea, too! There's so many possibilities there, especially for an OCD organizer like me. And not only is most of it reasonably priced (heck, the small stuff is downright cheap!), but Danny LOVES going to Ikea, too (unlike Walmart and Michael's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your page on thebloggess.com

    Love, love, love IKEA products. If I had more money I would completely redecorate in IKEA. Even their foods are yummy. They have a cheese there that we love (which may be the meaning of life all on its own).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so right, CHEESE does contain the meaning of life...and I will definitely have to check out IKEA's cheese next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Just popping in for a quick visit... what a treat to find your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete